I visited the Crystal City farmers market yesterday. It's every Tuesday from 3-7pm at Crystal Rd & 18th. Great produce, breads, herbs and honey. I got a pint of strawberries that I knew we wouldn't be able to plow through before they turned (end of strawberry season apparently=really ripe produce!), so I whipped up a pie crust and turned the berries into a fresh strawberry pie. Funnily enough--- when I googled "Fresh Strawberry Pie," the first 10 hits involved things like frozen limeade or jello pudding. Really? In fresh strawberry pie? So I googled "Mark Bittman fresh strawberry pie," and voila! Strawberries, sugar, cornstarch. Yum!
Of course, the accompanying picture is not of my pie. I couldn't resist posting these beautiful baby eggplants. Apparently the bright purple one is sweeter than the traditional eggplant. We'll see! No major cooking projects planned today, though I do hope to take the fresh mint I purchased at the market and turn it into mint iced-tea. I am definitely on summer vacation and loving it!
No comments:
Post a Comment