Thursday, March 26, 2009

What's Important

When I was little my dad used to sit me by the piano while he played through one of our old, beat up fakebooks of standards. It's how I learned songs like "Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans," "Misty," and "When Sunny Gets Blue." When I was old enough he'd often have me sing the tunes myself while he played through the progressions with the skill of an old jazzer. 
One of my all time favorite from this time was Irving Berlin's "Count Your Blessings (Instead of Sheep)."
The lyric is:
When I'm worried, and I can't sleep,
I count my blessings instead of sheep.
And I fall asleep, counting my blessings. 

This past week has seen a lot worry. People at GMU know about loss and the fear of loss this week---we've all been praying for Joyce and for Prof. Maiello. 
I've been up...not counting sheep but making lists of all the things that have to be done. Arranging, homework, groceries, laundry. There's alot to distract me from the blessings in my life right now. So I thought I should put my blessings in writing and remind myself just how much cause for joy there is in all the worry.
1) I have a family whom I love and who loves me. We are none of us perfect, but we are all learning to love each other for who we are and let that be just enough. 
2) I have a loving husband who supports me at every turn, even (or especially) when I'm being egocentric (school school school!) He is able to help us plan for the future, even while I'm stuck on the immediate present. He is a wonderful partner.
3) I have the most amazing friends---friends who I've known more then half my life and friends who are new. Friends who value a good life and time together. They are people I can count on--good, kind, generous souls who I am blessed to call friends.
4) I have music. If there is a greater gift in this life a defy you to name it. 
5) I have all I need. I have a warm home, the means to get my education, my health, a little money to spend on the people I love, and some left over for my soy lattes. :)

This is what's important. I have this. So tonight I will count my blessings---no sheep---and fall asleep grateful for the here and now. 

1 comment:

  1. That is extremely touching Emi. I've recently started to ponder about my life as well even through all of the stress that I have. Friends and music really make the day go by and put a smile on my face. PS I've played those standards for my jury so that's something we can play! I have the Real Book and there are some Broadway tunes in there so I'll bring that to our fun session. Let's hope it'll relieve stress for both of us. :)

    ReplyDelete